Building Officials Short Course
Brought to you by the North Central Washington Chapter of the International Code Council
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
2015 IRC Means of Egress
Alternate Methods and Materials
Day One is divided into two sessions. In the morning Instructors Russell Thornburg and Roger Axel will take an in-depth view of code requirements and best practices for stairways, landings, guards, handrails, etc. Illustrations will represent everyday problems and serve as the basis for discussion and resolution to the problems of means of egress for dwellings.
In the afternoon we take a look at the use of alternate methods and materials and how jurisdictions document related code requirements. Attendees will be able to: identify references required for alternate methods, determine acceptable criteria and acceptable testing materials, and the intent of the code. Participation in discussion and Q & A is encouraged.
Thursday, March 15, 2018
Fire Blocking and Draft Stopping
Day Two will also be divided into two sessions. To start the day, Instructors Roger and Russell will cover code requirements for the construction of many accessory structures, including a brief overview of residential decks and porches. This course will address design and plan review considerations, construction documents, and field inspection issues.
In the second half of the day Fire Blocking and Draft Stopping will cover the most important and misunderstood elements of light wood frame construction. Installed to retard the migration of fire from concealed vertical spaces to concealed horizontal spaces, fire blocking serves as the primary method of preventing the rapid spread of fire in areas not easily viewed. This course will explain the code’s requirements and provide numerous illustrations of properly and improperly installed fire blocking. Participation in discussion and Q & A is encouraged.
Friday, March 16, 2018
2015 IBC Means of Egress
On Day Three this course studies the principal components that make up the means of egress from a commercial building: exit access, exit, and the exit discharge. Attendees will be able to identify the applications/limitations of elements that are used in each component. Extensive uses of topical photographs are included in the presentation to help attendees visualize the code provisions discussed. Participation in discussion and Q & A is encouraged.
- Register Early - Seating is limited so be sure to register early! Your registration fee includes lunch each day, and morning and afternoon snacks and refreshments. You may have guests join you for lunch for just $10 per guest/per day. You may purchase guest lunches at the door.
- Register Online - Click here for REGISTRATION or click the Registration button in top right box of this page to go to the registration page. Then click the REGISTER (INDIVIDUAL) button at the bottom of the page to register and pay with a debit/credit card or with your PayPal account. Your registration receipt will be your confirmation.
- Register by Mail - Click here for REGISTRATION or click the Registration button in top right box of this page, then click on the 2018 Building Officials Short Course Mail-In Registration link at the top and download the registration form/brochure. Complete and mail your registration form along with your payment to NCW Chapter of ICC, PO Box 341 Ephrata, WA 98823. Be sure to include your payment when registering by mail. You WILL NOT be registered until payment is received. When registering by mail, you will receive a confirmation email when your payment has been received and your registration is complete.
- Course Materials - You will receive a printed copy of each day’s course materials as you sign in each morning.
- Daily Sessions begin at 8:30 a.m. and conclude around 4:30 p.m. depending on course content.
- Continuing Education Credits - 0.7 CEU’s will be awarded for each completed daily session.
- Accommodations - When making reservations at the Enzian Inn, please refer to group number 9770 to receive the group rate. Room costs start at $105.00 and include a full Bavarian style breakfast in the 4th floor atrium. Contact the Enzian Inn at 1-800-223-8511 or www.enzianinn.com. For alternative accommodations check out Leavenworth’s website at www.leavenworth.org.
Click here to learn how to register!